COVID-19 Week of 3/23 Update
***Indefinite Closure for LPCA/Cierre indefinido para LPCA***
Dear Legacy Families:
Due to the declaration of emergency from the Dallas County Health Dept. and the Mayor of Dallas, we must close school indefinitely. We are not allowed to have groups greater than 10 congregate.
What is happening this coming week, 3/23-27:
- Meals – We will continue to give out food for the week each Monday. Please bring your own bags/boxes if possible.
- Begin deployment of laptops Monday – Wednesday. Have you read the Laptop/Technology Device Checkout Agreement? You can find it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZzEn-2T0GgWzPagjHP8_Ynj-ocSSH7WMFrkltUmQNqs/edit?fbclid=IwAR2lRk7-AwfYrKZIXHvjUOT1qePEO6SOQwZRrAuTjNLO0JGqDSpNHpEbYnQ
The deployment will start on Monday, March 23rd at 8:00 AM in both Plano & Mesquite locations in a “drive thru” method. Elementary & Middle School for Mesquite will be done in the same drive line manner as daily drop off and pick up is done. Mesquite West High School and Plano will also use the same process. In the event of rain the Mesquite High School computers will be deployed from the Mesquite West Elementary Campus.
Plano will deploy from the same location with possible modifications to be announced if needed. Please follow this schedule:
Last names beginning with:
- A-F 8:00 A.M-10:00 A.M.
- G-L 10:00 A.M.-12:00 P.M.
- M-R 1:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M
- S-Z 3:00 P.M.-5:00 P.M.
If you are unable to make your assigned pick up time we have an extended period from 5:00 P.M.-6:30 P.M.
If you arrive after 6:30 P.M. please understand you will have to come at one of the other scheduled times listed below.
- Tuesday 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. or 3:00 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
- Wednesday 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. or 3:00 P.M. – 6:30 P.M.
All grade levels will pick up at Mesquite Elementary. Plano will pick up at the Plano campus.
If parents are unable to make it on these days to pick up devices we will be available Thursday-Friday from 8am-12pm (time and dates may vary depending on need)
- Start online instruction – your child(ren)s teacher(s) should have already emailed you. If they did not, please call 469-249-1099 select your school:
#1 – MW elementary and middle school,
#2 for MW high school,
#3 for Plano
and give the following information to the school:
- Your name and email
- Your child(ren)’s name and grade(s)
The information will be passed on the teacher(s) immediately so they can reach out to you.
- KG – 5th grades
- KG – 5th grade teachers have created virtual classrooms for their scholars through Google Classrooms. The teachers have sent an invitation to join the Google Classroom by email to the parents and a “how to guide” is going to be sent home, as well.
- KG – 2nd graders have packets, which will be emailed, so parents can print them out, and are also available to be picked up each Monday (when you come to pick up meals) for those that don’t have access to print from home.
- Grades 3rd – 5th also have packets if they do not have Internet access in their home. Please request the packet when you come on Mondays.
- In addition to that, we have software expectations which we have always had for these grades. They will be using the same platforms they use in the classroom. The teachers will communicate which software platforms your student will utilize. These are:
- Istation (Native Spanish Speakers Only)
- Lexia (Reading & Social Studies)
- Dreambox (Math & Social Studies)
- Epic (All Contents)
- Brainpop (All Contents)
- Achieve 3000 (Reading – 3rd-5th grades only)
- Grades 6 – 12 These scholars have had their work on echo, their learning platform, all year and should be able to quickly log into it and find their work. Questions should be directed to your child(ren)’s teacher.
- Parents of special education, dyslexia, speech therapy scholars, please note that the appropriate special needs teacher, administrator or diagnostician will contact you according to your child’s IEP timeline.
Resources to Help with Online Home Instruction:
Free Internet – Here are links of companies that have offered free access for households with students.
- Charter Spectrum: https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/covid-19-internet-offer-students
- Internet Essentials: https://www.internetessentials.com/covid19?fbclid=IwAR2lRk7-AwfYrKZIXHvjUOT1qePEO6SOQwZRrAuTjNLO0JGqDSpNHpEbYnQ
- AT&T: https://about.att.com/pages/COVID-19.html?fbclid=IwAR2kHka6-K-76nNCEZrVvyDEfTq4zHBEytT8ZMwQeyYVOJO4ZyeaVdC_0ts
- Altice USA: https://www.alticeusa.com/news/articles/feature/corporate/altice-usa-brings-free-broadband-k-12-and-college-students-during-coronavirus-pandemic?fbclid=IwAR3e0uArrpRuNHRKjfed1Q_2EdjW6hvLZz0nLOl28sx6C2jyQX2wBF1AP_E
- Fox 13 Now: https://www.fox13now.com/comcast-offers-free-xfinity-wifi-nationwide-amid-covid-19-pandemic?fbclid=IwAR2929A6ljnbTMdrHGx6vB0s27dhBFDbn6N80iTuUjQnaRt2CqM-LOG-7e4
Google Classroom (GC) Resources
There are 15 slides in this resource to help parents learn to navigate through Google Classroom. After clicking on this link, slide the cursor down to the bottom left of the screen. A black bar will appear and let you click on to the next slide.
- Here is Slide 1: How to Log into GC https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1qb9bSclIy4jfIXModsNtyseW9JDw_6uheuLSu4-v8ec/present?fbclid=IwAR26erk2ZPrHvCgBWMWJY0qglDWEgiNxvpWzYwubrjzL1UwmAX0Zja-V2tY&slide=id.gf303c80df_0_3
Chrome Extensions for Struggling Students and Special Needs
This teaches parents how to use the tools to help their children navigate the online world like having text read instead of having to read text to complete the assignment.
We know many of you will have issues around this closure and we apologize for having to put you in this situation. We will do our best to minimize the instructional loss as much as we can.
We are following our district calendar until further notice. Please continue to check FaceBook and our website www.legacypreparatory.com for updates.
Our phones are still being answered so if you have questions, please feel free to call 469-249-1099.
Your Legacy Team